QC and SG accountability with Paradigm 8 (The devotional, domestic and developmental life)

Edmund Chan identifies substructures in our Christian life, that if handled poorly, will 'destroy the credibility and effectiveness of God's servants'. We only asked ourselves why it is that some people (and we) live double lives. We noted that this is because we have sins to hide, and yet want to have a reputation that does not match our true self. Edmund Chan's point is that families are more likely to see our true selves. We said this was because families saw us more often and saw us from the time of birth/childhood onward. We may also feel more open with our families because they will not reject us as friends might. And yet some made the observation that many times youth also lack a good relationship with their family and will conceal their true selves from both family and non-family members. Our marriages and our small groups are meant to be safe places where we can be ourselves.

I shared a short insight into Ps 63 and noted that I have never been truly thirsty in my life - and can only imagine how it must be to be in a "dry and weary land where there is no water." (Ps 63:1c) And I conclude that I do not long for God with the intensity and focus that I should have. I also thought of 63:7 where the Psalmist goes beyond anthropomorphic language for God to compare Him to a mother bird sheltering its young. There is a beautiful picture of God sheltering us from "the sun by day and the moon by night" (Ps 121:6) - in other words, protecting us from evil and harm both day and night. Under His wings we can therefore "sing for joy", in full security.

We celebrated Winnie's birthday late. I encouraged each one of us to consider what we would ask of the Lord if He were to come to us like He he approached Solomon and told him, "Ask what I shall give you" (1 Ki 3:5) (i.e. "I will give you anything - just ask it of me"). 

 May the Lord bless your work and ministry, Winnie!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Study 9 ("Reach out to people")

YMEFLC 2016 reflections

QC and SG accountabilkity session (1/7/16)